Monday, August 29, 2011

Fall Trend: Color-blocking with a Twist

As much as I want to live in summer forever; surrounded by green grass, blossoming flowers and warm breezes, a recent work meeting has me thinking about fall. I had to pick a fall trend, create an outfit and then wear it during the meeting as part of a presentation--I know, life is SO hard when you have to play dress-up at work! I chose the color-blocking trend that I am enthusiastically anticipating for fall and gave it a slight 70's twist:

Sweater- Rag and Bone; Tank- Rag and Bone; Jeans- JBrand; Booties- Vince Camuto; Oxfords- Rag and Bone

The outfit could have gone a little too 70's when I pared the red flares and geometric sweater together, but the bright blue seemed to happily modernize the sweater's neutral stripes and the rust color of the jeans. The asymmetrical hem of the silky tank peeking out from under the sweater kept the ensemble from being too boxy and block-y and provided more visual interest than the sweater and jeans alone. A manager picked the chunky boot for me to wear with the outfit, but I usually don't wear a platform or heel with flares unless the bottom hem of the jean still grazes the floor...but I liked the color and decided to be nice, so the boots finished my ensemble. If I chose the shoes for myself in my everyday life, these leather oxfords would have been a no-brainer. They are SO buttery and soft and are pretty dapper kicks, I might add ;)

This outfit made me think about the possibilities fall brings to my wardrobe, so maybe cooler weather won't be so bad after all...maybe.

Are you excited to color-block/are already color-blocking? What other fall trends are you excited to rock?

9 comments:

  1. Oh, it's PERFECT! Love the red pants and those cute little oxfords. I usually like to do a print somewhere but I'm just so in love with colorblocking that I'll definitely be playing with it more!
    xo Josie
    www.winkskmilestyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the red bell bottoms!

    GTBB,
    http://badjoan.blogspot.com
    http://cookingjoan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that colorblocking has continued for fall -- and love that amazing blue sweater! xo style, she wrote

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love color blocking and I adore this outfit you put together! Those red pants are the sauce...xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes please! And loving those oxfords. Great find.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those J Brand jeans are so so awesome...I want!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh those jeans and oxfords are AWESOME. also, I miss you.

    ReplyDelete